in General December 27, 2017
Setting up or moving into a new home for the first time can be a very exciting task. Many first-time homeowners or newlyweds begin a new chapter when moving into a new home. However, if it is your first time moving into a new home or it has been a while since you have moved into a new place, remembering the basic items required for moving can be challenging.
If you are unsure about what you need or where to start, here is a great checklist of 12 essential must-haves for moving into your new home.
1) Linens, bedding and towels. Having multiple sets of linens, bedding and towels is a must as they are very convenient for guests and others that reside in your home. You should have duplicates of each so that you will have another set when these become dirty or need to be laundered. This includes sheets, bath towels, kitchen towels, hand towels, and extra pillows.
2) Kitchen Utensils. Kitchen utensils and flatware are a must in any home. You should have enough flatware for at least four guests and kitchen utensils that are compatible with your pots and pans. You should also have enough plates, glasses and bowls to accommodate at least a party of four. This includes water glasses, mugs and cups.
3) Major appliances. Every home needs to have major appliances such as a refrigerator, washer and dryer, dishwasher, and a range and stove. You should choose to update any old appliances and choose modern appliances as they are very energy efficient and can save you usage costs in the long run.
4) Small appliances. Small appliances such as toasters, microwaves, coffee makers, blenders and hand mixers are essential for any home. You can choose countertop appliances that match your major appliances.
5) Pots and Pans. A good set of pot and pans are a must have for any home. This includes large pots, skillets and sauce pans. You should also have a good set of bakeware such as cookie sheets and baking dishes.
6) Floorcare and cleaning supplies. Depending on what type of floor you have, a good broom, mop and vacuum are essential for any home. You also need a bucket, brushes, sponges and towels to help keep your home clean.
7) Household cleaners. You should have a variety of household cleaners for your home’s cleaning needs. If you have wooden floors or granite countertops you should buy cleaners that are made specifically to clean those surfaces as using a product not designed for your home can damage or not properly clean the surface.
8) Furniture. If you are tasked with furnishing a new home, you will need to have major furniture in each room. This includes couches, coffee and end tables, kitchen tables, chairs, beds, dressers and other items. If you do not already have furniture for your new home, keep an eye out for seasonal sales or pick up used items from garage sales or resale stores.
9) Organization and storage items. Closet systems, organizers, and other storage bins are an integral part of every home. They help organize and keep your items together. You should have several storage solutions for every room in the house to help keep your new home clean and organized.
10) Bedroom items. Bedroom items such as comforters, hampers, mirrors, and hangers are important for setting up any new home. You should also make sure you have the proper bedroom furniture such as a good bed, mattress, nightstand and dresser for your personal items.
11) Bathroom items. Bathroom items such as shower curtains, bath rugs, toilet brush, toilet paper and toiletries are a necessity for any new home. The last thing you want is to move to your new home and find that you cannot take a shower because you forgot to bring a shower curtain. Make sure you also bring personal toiletries like soap, shampoo, toothpaste and toothbrushes as these sometimes get lost or thrown out in in a move.
12) Miscellaneous items. There are several items that you will discover you need in your new home. Batteries, tool kits, light bulbs, tape, and mounting supplies are just a handful of things needed to move into a new place. You should make a list of these types of things and keep them together, so you are not searching for them while you are setting up your new place.
Overall, using this checklist of 12 essential things will help give you a great start to moving into your new home. You should use it to establish the essential items that you need and then continuously add items and décor to your home as needed. This will make moving and setting up your new home as smooth and convenient as possible.
Bio: Scott is one of the authors at Move Buddies. His goal is to ensure that people know what they are getting into when moving and helping them out when they need more information.